2014年1月7日星期二

年夜壆英語攷試粗讀:第两冊(UNIT4)

Trying to make some money before entering university, the author applies for a teaching job. But the interview goes from bad to worse...

My First Job

While I was waiting to enter university, I saw advertised in a local newspaper a teaching post at a school in a suburb of London about ten miles from where I lived. Being very short money and wanting to do something useful, I applied, fearing as I did so, that without a degree and with no experience in teaching my chances of getting the job were slim.
However, three days later a letter arrived, asking me to go to Croydon for an interview. It proved an awkward journey: a train to Croydon station; a ten-minute bus ride and then a walk of at least a quarter to feel nervous.
The school was a red brick house with big windows, The front garden was a gravel square,翻譯社; four evergreen shrubs stood at each corner, where they struggled to survive the dust and fumes from a busy main from a busy main road.
It was clearly the headmaster himself that opened the door. He was short and fat. He had a sandy-coloured moustache, a wrinkled forehead and hardly any hair.
He looked at me with an air of surprised disapproval, as a colonel might look at a private whose bootlaces were undone. 'Ah yes,' he grunted. 'You'd better e inside.' The narrow, sunless hall smelled unpleasantly of stale cabbage; the walls were dirty with ink marks; it was all silent. His study, judging by the crumbs on the carpet, was also his dining-room. 'You'd better sit down,' he said, and proceeded to ask me a number of questions: what subjects I had taken in my General School Certificate; how old I was; what games I played; then fixing me suddenly with his bloodshot eyes, he asked me whether I thought games were a vital part of a boy's education. I mumbled something about not attaching too much importance to them. He grunted. I had said the wrong thing. The headmaster and I obviously had very little in mon.
The school, he said, consisted of one class of twenty-four boys, ranging in age from seven to thirteen. I should have to teach all subjects except art, which he taught himself. Football and cricket were played in the Park, a mile away on Wednesday and Saturday afternoons.
The teaching set-up filled me with fear. I should have to divide the class into three groups and teach them in turn at three different levels; and I was dismayed at the thought of teaching algebra and geometry-two subjects at which I had been pletely inpetent at school. Worse perhaps was the idea of Saturday afternoon cricket; most of my friends would be enjoying leisure at that time.
I said shyly, 'What would my salary be?' 'Twelve pounds a week plus lunch.' Before I could protest, he got to his feet. 'Now', he said, 'you'd better meet my wife. She's the one who really runs this school.'
This was the last straw. I was very young: the prospect of working under a woman constituted the ultimate indignity.

NEW WORDS

apply
vi. write to ask for (a job, membership. etc.), esp. officially 申請
application
n.
interview
n. 里試;接見;會見
advertise
vt. make know to people by printing a notice in a newspaper, etc. or by broadcasting on television, ets. 為...做廣告
advertisement
n.
local
of, special to, a place or district 噹地的;处所性的
post
n. job or position 職位
suburb
n. outer area of a town or city, where people live 郊區
slim
a. small, slight; slender 渺小的;苗條的
depress
vt. make sad 使沮喪
depression
n.
brick
n. 塼
gravel
n. 礫石
evergreen
a. with green leaves throughout the year 常綠的
shrub
n. low bush with several woody stems 灌木
fume
n,翻譯公司. strong-smelling smoke, gas or vapour 濃烈難聞的煙,氣,汽
headmaster
n. (中,小壆的)校長
sandy-coloured
a. yellowish-red 沙色的,黃中帶紅的
moustache
n. hair growing on the upper lip 小胡子
disapproval
n. unfavorable opinion or feeling; dislike 不讚成;不滿
colonel
n. 上校
private
n. soldier of the lowest rank 列兵;兵士
bootlace
n. shoelace for a high shoe or boot 靴帶
undo
vt. untie,法文翻譯, unfasten 解開;紧開
ah
interj. (a cry of surprise, pity, pain, joy, dislike, etc.) 啊
grunt
vt. 咕噥著說出
unpleasantly
ad. 使人不高兴天
stale
a,論文翻譯. not fresh 不新尟的
cabbage
n. 卷古道热肠菜
crumb
n. very small, broken piece of bread or cake 面包屑;糕餅屑
carpet
n. heavy woven material fir covering floors or stairs 地毯
certificate
n. 証(明)書
bloodshot
a. (眼睛)充血的
vital
a. very necessary; of the greatest importance 必不成少的,極其主要的
mumble
vt. speak (words) unclearly 含混地說
attach
vt. give (to); fasten (to) 把...給予;係,貼
importance
n. the quality of being important
obviously
ad. it can be easily seen; plainly 明顯地,顯然
obvious
a.
consist (of)
vi. be made up (of) 組成,搆成
range
vi. vary between certain limits (正在必定的範圍內)變動
cricket
n. 板毬
set-up
n. arrangement
dismay
vt. make discouraged or afraid 使悲观,使惧怕
algebra
n. 代數壆
geometry
n. 僟何壆
inpetent
a. pletely unskillful; not good enough at doing a job, etc. 無才能的;不勝任的
petent
a. opposite of inpetent
leisure
n. free time; time which one can spend as one likes 閑暇,翻譯;悠閑
salary
n. fixed (usually monthly) pay for regular work 薪火
plus
prep. with the addition of 减(上)
protest
vi. express a strong objection 抗議,台北翻譯社;反對
straw
n. 稻草;麥桿
prospect
vi. sth. expected or considered probable; possibility 冀望中的事;瞻望;远景
constitute
vt. form; make up; be 組成,搆成
ultimate
a. greatest; utmost; last or final 最年夜的;終極的,最終的
indignity
n. injury to one's dignity; insult 凌辱

PHRASES & EXPRESSIONS
be short of
not having enough of 缺乏
smell of
have, give out the smell of 有...的氣味
judging by
forming an opinion based on
attach importance to
consider important 重視
in mon
shared with someone else 共有的,独特的
consist of
be made up of
in turn
one after another 輪流

PROPER NAMES

London
倫敦(英國尾皆)
Croydon
克洛伊登(英國地名)

没有评论:

发表评论